What can I expect?
You can expect a full day of exciting, information packed, fun!
This workshop is an all day event. If you live close by it can be done in a day. However, some students may need to get a room. There are plenty around and a phone call to book your room in advance is recommended.
This day is packed full of adventure. Our first stop is Emerald Bay and the Vikingsholm Castle. It is a 1 mile hike, 500 feet down so wear comfortable shoes, layered clothes and bring water and snacks. We will spend the afternoon around the castle and surrounding area.
From Emerald Bay, we will first stop for a meal before heading to North Shore Sand Harbor where you will be exposed to some of the most beautiful shorelines on Lake Tahoe. Huge boulders and crystal clear shallow beaches make for excellent photo opportunities.We will stay in this location exploring the area, learning and sharing until sunset. We will play with long exposures to create silky water effects as it pours over and between the boulders. You will learn how to use your ND filters and polarizer and much, much, more.
What you should bring and other useful information
• Camera(s): All Studio 18 Gallery DSLR workshops require a Digital Single Lens Reflex Camera with interchangeable lenses. You may bring a point and shoot or film camera as well to use during your free roam time.
• Lens: Bring as many lenses as you want to carry. You can never have too many choices. You never know what you are going to find. However, for this course, I recommend a wide lens like a 17-40mm or a fisheye 10-20 or so, for a more dramatic effect. Also a zoom lens would be ideal as you never know what kind of wild life you are going to come across.
• Tripod: A tripod is essential for long exposures and low light situations. It doesn't need to be expensive but a tripod is required for all workshops.
• Filters: A graduated ND (neutral density) filter is a must have tool in any photographer's bag. If you don't have one it is recommended you get one. they are about $60 for a kit. I recommend the Cokin P Series kit. A circular polarizer is also a must and is essential for our outdoor excursions.
• Storage Devices & Batteries: Bring at least 4 gigs of camera cards. You may bring a laptop however there is probably no electricity available for charging anything. So make sure all your batteries are fully charged and that you have extras.
• Flash: You might want to bring a flash for a little light on the subject, however, It is not necessary, the flash on your camera might work depending on the diameter of your lens as it can cast a shadow. Reflectors also work well to reflect the suns natural light.
• Lunch or money for lunch: Bring snacks, non alcoholic beverages and a lunch. We break for lunch. Usually food is not far away but it can be, so it is best to bring a bag lunch or small ice chest.
• Please arrive on time: As a group, it is important to be on time so as not to hold up the rest of the group. Be considerate of others and try to work together and draw your inspiration from one another. Believe me, you will not want to waste a minute of creating time.
• Transportation: Each student is responsible for their own transportation to the workshop location. However, car-pooling during the workshop is encouraged both to minimize the number of vehicles at shooting locations and to get to know one another - and it isn't bad on the pocket book either.
• Weather and Clothing: Poor weather can make for dramatic photographic opportunities, so if rain is in the forecast, pack a light jacket or rain poncho and bring something to keep your camera dry like a shower cap or a plastic bread bag. Dress in layers as weather can be unpredictable in the Sierras. An umbrella is always good whether it is raining or sunny as it provides shade and comes in handy for various shooting uses.
• Refunds & Cancellations: Our workshops are limited to 10 people. Once a spot is filled it is considered no longer available. Therefore we can not offer a refund. This policy is necessary to assure that those who sign up are serious about the adventure and will not back out, ruining the opportunity for someone else.
If for some reason we have to cancel due to severe weather, etc. you will have the option to reschedule or request a refund.
Contact us at 209.257.1761 for more information